Re: Schema.org and nested items

Hmm.  I've seen <body> declared as itemscope before (and I use this to declare itemtype="WebPage") but I honestly don't know if the DOM model permits marking up the <html> tag itself.  On the other hand, I've replicated some of your code and it does seem to validate in the linter (http://linter.structured-data.org/).  Regarding the failure to produce a likely rich snippet, this could either be your code, or the tool's notoriously parsimonious generation of actual rich snippet previews.

Note this comment from Google Employee Jenny Murphy on someone using a similar construction:

"A div is a better place to put schema.org markup than the html element. It's designed to be applied to visible
contents of your page so as a result you don't need to put it any
further back than the <body> element."
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=75bd26a38767e0cc&hl=en

And again here:

"Next, the schema.org markup should be applied to visible elements on the page. This means
you should add them to existing elements that are part of the page's
body (do not create new HTML elements in most cases). The root-most
element you can apply them to is the <body> start tag."
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=425b378f168b4bca&hl=en

You might do well to check out Mark Pilgrim's chapter on microdata on "Dive Into HTML5" which has an entire section labeled "Marking Up People":
http://diveintohtml5.ep.io/extensibility.html

Hope this helps,
Aaron Bradley