Re: Canonicalizing relative URLs seen in URL type properties?

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:25:50 +0100, Martin Hepp
<martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> Hi Philip:
>
> afaik,
>
>    http://schema.org/InStock
>
> is not an itemtype but the identifier of an individual representing a
> value of the type
>
>    http://schema.org/ItemAvailability
>
> So I am unsure on how to interpret your statement:
>
>> Note of caution: the following is about URLs in itemtype, while the
>> original thread is about URLs in itemprop. They are not the same.
>
> http://schema.org/InStock will only be used in patterns like
>
> <link itemprop="availability" href="http://schema.org/InStock"/>

Huh, that looks like bad design on the part of schema.org, as they could
have just defined it to be <meta itemprop="availability" href="instock"/>,
thereby saving both typing and the confusion of http://schema.org/InStock
looking like a type but actually being an enumeration value.

> You also said that any client doing any kind of lax handling of this
> identifier would be "non-compliant"; however, I am sure that at least
> some major search engines will eventually tolerate
>
> <link itemprop="availability" href="http://schema.org/instock"/>
>
> You can see in Google's testing tool that they internally normalize all
> itemprop URIs to lower case.

It is completely up to the vocabulary how to interpret the property
values, so this is not violation of microdata. However, it is a huge bug
in the schema.org vocabulary that it doesn't define the processing for
consumers, and this is just one example of that.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer