RE: Ideas on simplification of process and operations

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> Q. Why do we require a scoped charter?
> A. So we get agreement to the patent policy.

If what you want is agreement to [the] patent policy, a scoped charter may not be the best way. For example, the Open Web Foundation licensing model is specifically intended to eliminate that reason to insist on a scoped charter. We are proposing a lightweight patent policy that should give comfort to both patent-owning contributors and non-patent-owning developers and users, and that requires no preliminary scoping document to force agreement to that patent policy.

When you clearly identify the problem to be solved [e.g., "we need to get agreement to a patent policy"], then you may discover that the proposed solution ["require the working group to create a scoping document"] is not the only way to solve that problem.

/Larry