RE: Ideas on simplification of process and operations

Arnaud, thanks for that summary of the W3C process. For someone like me who
is rather new to W3C, it was very helpful.

I've been told that one of the burdensome aspects of the current W3C process
is the requirement for an up-front working group scoping document.
Apparently, for some, the requirement to define the scope of the innovation
desired in the specification is itself often an impediment to innovation. It
can lead to intense and interminable arguments among potential contributors
before actual work can start, and it can allow companies to build fences
around their own patent portfolios so as to stifle both innovation and
competition.

Are these four steps in the current W3C process supposed to result in a
working group scoping document?

a. Submission/Workshop/AC discussion
b. Director announces development of Activity proposal or WG charter
c. W3C members review
d. Director approval

How much of this part of the process can be simplified or eliminated for
these incubating standards?

As for the latter phases of the W3C process, some of this reflects a perhaps
antiquated view that specifications and their implementations proceed in
series rather than in parallel. Would it not be simpler to set the rule, at
least for incubator standards, that anything that may graduate to
publication status must already have an implementation in software.

2. Last Call announcement - at least 3 weeks, and from then on: WG MUST
formally address any substantive review comment
3. Call for Implementations - Note: The Director MAY permit the WG to skip
this step if the entrance criteria for the next step have already been
satisfied.

The current W3C process also reflects a desire by members that their patent
commitments may be withdrawn at specific checkpoints (e.g., Last Call) in
the process. In Open Web Foundation, we're developing a Contributor License
Agreement that allows a straightforward 45-day opt out for patent claims
relating to a patent owner's actual contributions to a specification, and
allows contributors to postpone their patent commitments for the rest of the
specification until they voluntarily sign an OWF Agreement that contains a
non-assert for that entire specification. Our hope is that this will
eliminate some of the process delays, such as those in W3C, surrounding the
commitment to royalty-free licensing of patents. If patents become less of a
concern, perhaps innovation will be faster.

/Larry