Maintenance Case: MathML

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:57:32 -0400
To: public-vision-core <public-vision-core@w3.org>
We talked about maintenance of existing specifications 2 weeks ago and
I'd like to come back to it with a concrete case: MathML.

The Working Group will probably release MathML 3.0 as a REC
mid-September and doesn't plan a new version at the moment. However, the
Group wishes to stay around to maintain the document and also to
continue to be a formal forum to defend MathML interest with regards to
HTML5 (HTML5 includes MathML by reference).

We have 3 choices at the moment:
1- close the Group and reopen if a new edition becomes useful.
2- keep the Group around by simply extending the charter
3- keep the Group with a new charter making it clear they're around for
maintenance and coordination

1 doesn't seem an option here since the Group wants to keep some formal
status.

2 would work but, unless you're in the known, you wouldn't guess that
the Group is only around for maintenance

3 would work, except that the Director cannot substantially modify the
charter without an AC review. So, trimming down the existing charter to
only keep maintenance would require a round with the AC

Would we consider recommending a simpler to be able to do option 3,
without doing a full AC review?

Philippe