Re: [EXT] RE: California DMV Launches OpenCred with Support for VC-based Driver’s Licenses

This is huge. Massive congrats to Manu and everyone who made it happen.

Finally we’re starting to see verifiable digital credentials come into their own. This is only the very tip of a very, very big iceberg.

=Drummond

From: John, Anil <anil.john@hq.dhs.gov>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2024 at 6:58 AM
To: W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>, W3C Verifiable Credentials Working Group <public-vc-wg@w3.org>
Subject: [EXT] RE: California DMV Launches OpenCred with Support for VC-based Driver’s Licenses
Congratulations Manu and the Digital Bazaar team!

The existence of a production grade, easily deployable, verification infrastructure for W3C VCDM based credentials under an open source license, such that anyone can pick up, deploy and use it is indeed a VERY GOOD THING for the decentralized identity ecosystem that utilizes W3C standards -- globally!

I personally love the fact that the entity that had the ".. foresight to create, fund, and see such an initiative through to completion" is a public sector organization like the California DMV. Kudos to Steve, Ajay and the rest of the CA DMV team!

Needless to say, I also congratulate them in having the foresight to support the issuance and use of a digital driver's license in both the mDL format (ISO 18013-5) AND in the W3C VCDM format to serve their broader customer needs; which also serves as a great example!

Best Regards,

Anil

Anil John
Technical Director, Silicon Valley Innovation Program
Science and Technology Directorate
US Department of Homeland Security
Washington, DC, USA

Time Zone: UTC-05:00 (US Eastern Time)

Email Response Time – 24 Hours or more; I sometimes send emails outside of business days/times because it works for me; please do not feel any obligation to reply to them outside of your normal working patterns.

This document contains pre-decisional and/or deliberative process information exempt from mandatory disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(5). Do not release without prior approval of the Department of Homeland Security.