RE: timing for Controller Document spec

Thanks for putting this timeline together, Brent.  That's helpful.

                                                       -- Mike

From: Brent Zundel <brent.zundel@gmail.com>

Sent: Friday, May 3, 2024 5:31 PM

To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>; W3C VC Working Group <public-vc-wg@w3.org>; Michael Jones <michael_b_jones@hotmail.com>

Subject: timing for Controller Document spec

During the VCWG meeting on Wednesday we discussed continuing to work on the Controller Documents 1.0 specification. MY task was to determine the timeline for that work, so I am reporting back.

On order for us to succeed wit publishing Controller Document 1.0 as a Recommendation, the following dates should be met:

May 8, 2024 - Group decision to publish First Public Working Draft

June 3, 2024 - Request wide review in advance of Candidate Recommendation

August 28, 2024 - Group decision to publish Candidate Recommendation

October 16, 2024 - Group decision to publish Proposed Recommendation

I've built in some room in the schedule in case things slip, but there is not a lot of room. We do not have time for a second Candidate Recommendation phase, for example.

Since the document already has an editors draft, and since the contents for the document for the most part are coming from Data Integrity and VC Jose Cose, which are both in Candidate Recommendation already, I am confident that producing a Controller Documents 1.0 specification is possible. However, we do not have much time to put it together.

My ask to Manu and Mike, who have volunteered to edit Controller Documents 1.0: please work together to make sure the document is ready to present to the VCWG during our next WG meeting so that we can present a proposal to publish a First Public Working Draft.

Brent