RE: Chairs' decision on VC-ACDC Proposal

Based on this resolution from a WG meeting  on 2023-02-16 [1]
Resolution #1: The base media type for the VCDM is credential+ld+json. @context is required (MUST) in the base media type; other media types MAY choose to include @context. Serializations in other media types (defined by the VCWG) MUST be able to be transformed into the base media type. Another media type MUST identify if this transformation is one-directional or bi-directional. Bi-directional transformation MUST preserve @context. Transformation rules MUST be defined, but not necessarily by this WG..

And this resolution from a WG meeting  on 2023-03-15 [2]
Resolution #2: VC spec directory will have an entry for documents that define a mapping to VCDM and these documents can be defined outside W3C VCWG..

I think what follows is that "making a mapping (that can be outside VC WG) that produces a VC as defined in VCDM-core means conformance to the VCDM".

During the WG call today, Joe and Manu said:
<JoeAndrieu> making a mapping does not make anything a VC. Conformance to the VCDM defines VCs
<manu> ^^ yes, that.

Yes, a random mapping does not make anything a VC. Bur a mapping that produces a VC as defined in VCDM means conformance to the VCDM.

I don't think it's a different in "interpretation", but a matter of being specific that a mapping has to produce a VC as defined in VCDM 😊

Best,
Kristina (chair hat off)

[1] https://www.w3.org/2017/vc/WG/Meetings/Minutes/2023-02-16-vcwg

[2] https://www.w3.org/2017/vc/WG/Meetings/Minutes/2023-03-15-vcwg