Re: Verifiable Credentials with COSE_Sign1

Looks like things have progressed a bit, I had originally created this
response to Mike's initial comment:

> The “coupling” that you’re not in favor will result in more natural
implementations, at least as I see it.

There are currently 0 examples of a CBOR core data model, all the
verifiable credential formats that meet TR 1.0 or 1.1 are in JSON.

The core data model should define a concrete serialization for JSON.

The content type of this serialization should be
`application/credential+json`

Securing JSON might be accomplished with either JWS or COSE Sign1 (which
would be more compact than a JWS, but potentially less well supported by
off the shelf tooling).

I don't see why it would be "more natural" to start by defining a data
model that has never existed before, and that nobody is using today.

Especially while we don't have a good solution for securing the one that we
have today, which is JSON.

I also question if the working group has the expertise or bandwidth to do a
CBOR based data model, it's certainly not a priority for us right now.

Our primary focus is on making it very easy and very safe to secure JSON.

Perhaps in our next charter we might consider adding a core data model
representation for CBOR.

I think it's a mistake to load up on that in the current charter, and with
the current issues with VC-JWT...

Better to solve the current can of worms before opening a new one.

Regards,

OS

--
*ORIE STEELE*