RE: Verifiable Credentials with COSE_Sign1

As extensively discussed in the special topic calls, an "open world model" is not a interoperability requirement and is not a deliverable in our charter.  We can (and I believe will) do better than that.

    -- Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2022 3:06 PM
To: W3C VC Working Group <public-vc-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Verifiable Credentials with COSE_Sign1

On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 4:50 PM Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> wrote:
> The “coupling” that you’re not in favor will result in more natural implementations, at least as I see it.

No, it won't. You will never be able to map all the contents of every VC, by hand, to CBOR without an automated mapping mechanism. The approach you're suggesting works when you have a small, closed world model, but fails to scale when you have an open world model.

A mechanism that does this mapping automatically, from VCs to CBOR, does exist in CBOR-LD:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ksh-gUdjJJwDpdleasvs9aRXEmeRvqhkVWqeitx5ZAE/edit

That's clearly not an option for those that want to avoid using any Linked Data technologies. I suggest you find a way to do auto-mapping to CBOR and not hand-pick values in the VC Data Model to convert to CBOR tags/numbers (artisnal CBOR)... you will fail to achieve CBOR's benefits when coupling a strategy for closed world models with a decentralized, open world ecosystem.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
News: Digital Bazaar Announces New Case Studies (2021) https://www.digitalbazaar.com/