Re: Public-Key authentication for websites

Johnathan Nightingale wrote:
 > As far as I know, though I haven't looked in detail,
 > most modern browsers allow sites to store client
 > certs, and to request client certificates as part of
 > the TLS handshake.

At present, the only way to use a client X.509 key is
for the site administrator to spend considerable time
and effort authorizing client keys by hand, which is in
practice so laborious it is seldom done, and if done, is
done wrong, breaking, rather than ensuring, security.

Analogous problems arise in using TLS-SRP, and indeed
in any attempt to use more modern and elegant cryptography
than shared passwords for client side identification. If
we support client side identification by GPG
certificates or SRP unshared secrets in the same way we
support client side identification using X.509
certificates, we are just as hosed as we are with X.509
certificates.  TLS-GPG will be just as unworkable for client side
identifification as TLS-X.509 is.