Re: Produce material on name-based virtual hosting and TLS

On 7-Mar-07, at 1:29 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

> More IP address consumption is one consequence, another is that
> parties may not be able to deploy proposed security enhancements
> due to lack of available IP space.

[...]

>> Mary Ellen Zurko <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com> wrote:
>>> OK. But what effect does the "protocol limitations" have on
>> usable and
>>> robust security context information (which was also part of
>> what I was
>>> trying to get clarity on). Did I get the effect right (increase in
>>> errors on cert processing, so setting user expectations that errors
>>> are not a problem)?

It sounds like that wasn't the effect. FTR, when you made the leap
from this to confirmation bias, I was kind of confused, and that's
why I've been silent to date. I'm pretty sure this concern is mostly
at the level of "it might become increasingly difficult for people to
make use of the existing PKI architecture in this time of IP
scarcity, so solutions relying on SSL aren't usable as ubiquitous
security solutions".

cheers,
mike