RE: Secure Chrome and Secure MetaData

There are certainly proposals that have a greater or lesser degree of reliance on platform security, netowrk security and so on than others.

Where I have concern though is the way the conversation keeps making a seamless transition between chrome attacks and platform attacks.

The point of distinction I would make here is that we all share the same chrome, we all use HTTP, HTML, Javascript, CSS enabled browsers that are way to permissive in the manipulations they allow content to perform.

There is no way that the most careful consumer can defend against an attack where a frameless javascript window pops up with a fake browser inside it.

There are protections that we can expect users to take at the platform level and how ever many million machines are compromised at any given time there are robust defenses against trojan compromise that are possible. My standard Windows account does not have the ability to load a device driver, change the system registry or change system files. The chance that the machine will be compromised by a Trojan is vastly reduced as a result.

The upshot of this is that while it is certainly a concern that a machine can be hijacked there is certainly value to proposals that only address the social engineering attack.

Moreover the processes by which the machines are hijacked in the first place are also the result of a social engineering attack. If nobody ever opened up executable attachments there would be remarkably few viruses.

Virtually all current Internet crime involves social engineering and in particular impersonation of a trusted party at some point in the cycle.