Re: Updated charters... - suggestions to auth annotations wg

Linn, John wrote:
> Re the "Form Annotations for HTTP Authentication" draft charter, would
> there be interest in generalizing the scope so as also to encompass
> structural and tagging facilities for authentication-related information
> sent in the reverse direction, from UAs to servers?  This may not be
> necessary for a usage mode where a server-UA request triggers the UA to
> initiate a protocol-level HTTP authentication transaction (and where
> that protocol would likely have its own means to represent parameters),
> but could serve to discriminate among different protected (e.g., hashed
> and/or encrypted) credential representations that UAs could transfer
> within POSTs and to carry their associated parameters.  As such, this
> could provide a useful vehicle to incorporate enhanced capabilities
> within the common POST-based paradigm.

Sorry for my late response (having been away)... but I haven't seen a
response to John's comment/suggestion above - and would like to second it.

Furthermore, I would like to propose that we also consider form
annotations for authentication of the page contents (from server to
client). Inclusion of a digital signature on the page contents could be
very effective for several goals, and sometimes preferable to the usage
of SSL/TLS, for performance but also for other considerations. Yes, this
is `the return of the SHTTP`, if you like - I believe, the time is now
right, and we also have the tools now (XML DSIG etc.) to make this a
very reasonable effort.

Best, Amir