From: Leslie Daigle [mailto:leslie@thinkingcat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 2:37 PM
To: public-uri-cg@w3.org
Subject: Re: URIs and OpenURLs (was:upcoming events for URI CG
schedule?)

Sometime ago, I got a call from Pat Harris, of NISO,
wanting to do some coordinating with IETF, W3C and
OpenURL folk over the NISO standards work in this area.

I said, sure, let's telechat.  I haven't heard anything
from her in weeks (and her mail responder says she
won't be back until May 27), but I began to wonder --
has anyone from W3C-land heard from her?  Anyone else
aware of an effort to have a conversation?

I'm still trying to get a grip on where the points of
overlap with teh IANA registry are (and oughtn't be).

Leslie.

Martin Duerst wrote:

> At 09:53 03/05/09 -0400, Ray Denenberg wrote:
>
>> I really don't think the OpenURL folks honestly believe that their
>> scheme will be adopted; I think they've put it up out of some
>> frustration and cynicism. I don't completely understand why they think
>> these things that they want to identify cannot be accomodated within
>> the URI framework either with one or two new URI schemes or new URN
>> namespace identifiers.  However I suspect it is because they have
>> concluded that it is nearly impossible, or at least very difficult, to
>> get new schemes or namspaces approved.
>

> Hello Ray,
>
> If the OpenURL people have concluded that to register new schemes
> or URN namespaces is very difficult, then I think they are wrong.
>
> I think deployment of new schemes/namespaces is difficult, but
> that's a different issue. For registration, a decent registration
> document and some thoroughness in following through is mostly
> what is needed.
>
> So I think it would be worth to find out more about whether your
> suspicion is true, and how it could be corrected.
>

> Regards,    Martin.

"Reality:
     Yours to discover."
                                -- ThinkingCat