Re: URIs and OpenURLs (was:upcoming events for URI CG schedule?)

At 09:53 03/05/09 -0400, Ray Denenberg wrote:

>I really don't think the OpenURL folks honestly believe that their scheme
>will be adopted; I think they've put it up out of some frustration and
>cynicism. I don't completely understand why they think these things that
>they want to identify cannot be accomodated within the URI framework
>either with one or two new URI schemes or new URN namespace
>identifiers.  However I suspect it is because they have concluded that it
>is nearly impossible, or at least very difficult, to get new schemes or
>namspaces approved.

Hello Ray,

If the OpenURL people have concluded that to register new schemes
or URN namespaces is very difficult, then I think they are wrong.

I think deployment of new schemes/namespaces is difficult, but
that's a different issue. For registration, a decent registration
document and some thoroughness in following through is mostly
what is needed.

So I think it would be worth to find out more about whether your
suspicion is true, and how it could be corrected.

Regards,    Martin.