Re: URGENT: train wreck coming, action needed. (was: Fwd: URI-CG group chartered)

>At 18:38 04/04/2003 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>
>>>On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 15:06, pat hayes wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>Er... well... if you have a suggestion as to what the spec
>>>should say, please suggest it (to uri@w3.org) and see what
>>>the editor says.
>>>
>>>If you don't get satisfaction, then perhaps raising hell
>>>is in order. But try the straight path first, OK?
>>
>>Ahem. Duly noted, tie straight, breathing normally.
>>
>>Will compose thoughtful and moderately worded English response when
>>the Irish subsides.
>
>Though, as Pat's earlier response [1] shows, the argument is not
>with any current URI wording, but with some proposed new wording
>that isn't yet on the table.  Even Roy's new working draft [2]
>retains the old wording.
>
>When I "dismissed" this as a philosophical matter of little import,
>I had overlooked that several specifications, and (apparently) the
>official position, implicitly look to the URI specification for a
>definition of "resource".  If that definition could be removed to
>some more neutral territory (e.g. the emerging web architecture
>document), then maybe that frees the URI spec to focus itself on
>syntactical aspects of URIs, and those resources that actually have
>assigned URIs?

That would make a lot of sense, yes.

><aside>
>I think there has long been a tension that URIs serve (at least two)
>different masters:  in the web architecture (wherein the concept
>originated), as a framework for universal identification, but within
>the IETF (who "own" the specification) I sense a broad view that
>URIs are some kind of glorified address.

That sounds like a URL to me. BUt I agree, there seem to be divergent
ideas about what we are talking about, and different masters to serve.

Even for glorified addresses, seems to me that one doesn't want to
say that nothing exists other than what is addressed. But I will stop
moaning and draft a civilized message to the editor, as Dan suggests.

Pat

>  For many purposes, these are reconcilable views, but when issues
>like this come up one sees the fault lines emerge.
></aside>
>
>#g
>--
>
>[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Apr/0117.html
>
>[2]
>http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#rfc.section.1.1

>Graham Klyne
><GK@NineByNine.org>
>PGP: 0FAA 69FF C083 000B A2E9  A131 01B9 1C7A DBCA CB5E

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam