RE: ATSC liaison reply

I note we somewhat envisioned the possibility to design the spec using an RPC mechanism following feedback from the TAG. This is what I called the "external source-centric" model:
https://github.com/w3c/tvcontrol-api/issues/24#issuecomment-261918951

Agreement on an RPC mechanism and alignment with the one proposed in ATSC 3.0 sounds doable to some extent technically speaking, provided there's industry interest for it. I agree that the main difference in approach between ATSC and the TV Control WG is that we want to integrate with HTMLMediaElement, so that only one media player remains in the end, and thus we want to - or rather we need to - touch the browser codebase.

This is where the alignment might be more difficult. In ATSC, the goal is to control the video pane that underlies the web page. In the TV Control WG, that video pane does not exist and the goal is to get a handle to an audio/video stream and to render that stream in a media element. As such, commands such as "resize and move the video pane", needed in the ATSC spec, would not make sense in the TV Control spec, where the position and size of the media player is inherently an HTML/CSS issue.

Also, in the TV Control API, we need a way to represent and expose the "handle" to the media stream, something that is not needed in the RMP scenario in ATSC 3.0 where commands are sent directly to the remote media player. Right now, the handle is a MediaStream in the TV Control API. It could be a stream retrieved through a local WebSockets server or through an XHR mechanism (both of which seem doable in ATSC 3.0) but this is not very efficient for local media playback. Or it could be a URI with a specific scheme if an RPC mechanism is used. That triggers a number of questions on how to name broadcast channels. I note an old IETF document named "URIs for TV Broadcasts" (Mark Vickers is one of the authors):
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2838

The distributed requirement seems doable as well. It could be achieved on top of the TV Control API in its present form: an RPC mechanism can easily be implemented on top of the TV Control API. Or indeed the TV Control API could be designed directly using an RPC mechanism.

Both approaches might co-exist. For instance, on top of my head, one idea to create the concept of a video pane with a broadcast application on the web could be to have the Remote Media Player be a default web application that renders the broadcast video stream (using the TV Control API) and an <iframe> overlay on top of it that runs the broadcast application. The RPC mechanism could be used to communicate between the application and the Remote Media Player, exactly as envisioned in ATSC 3.0. Iframe access restrictions could perhaps be used to give different privileges to broadcast applications as needed.

I understand the timing constraints for ATSC. I think the use of an RPC mechanism in ATSC 3.0 makes it easy to discuss a possible future alignment. It would be good to understand whether ATSC members are interested to work on that alignment longer term, perhaps providing ATSC 3.0 RPC mechanism to W3C as a starting point, and/or on the integration of the RMP with the media player in HTML.

Thanks,
Francois.