W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tvapi@w3.org > February 2015

[tvapi] minutes - 17 Feb. 2015

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:41:25 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9XvYUGaf=57nUoLWqiP2k80zG=ZSMneyrKxfGBRQyQQ=w@mail.gmail.com>
To: "public-tvapi@w3.org" <public-tvapi@w3.org>
available at:
 http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking these minutes, Chris!

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                           TV Control API CG

17 Feb 2015

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tvapi/2015Feb/0000.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz, Paul, Chris, Bin, Daniel, Sung-Hei, Alex

   Regrets
   Chair
          Bin

   Scribe
          Chris

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]actions
         2. [6]Progress measurement of the draft of technical
            specification
     * [7]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

actions

   <kaz> action-22?

   <trackbot> action-22 -- Daniel Davis to And kaz to add a column
   to the mapping table to measure the progress of our
   specification. -- due 2015-01-27 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [8]http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/track/actions/22

      [8] http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/track/actions/22

   <kaz> close action-22

   <trackbot> Closed action-22.

   <cpn> Scribe: Chris

   <kaz> scribenick: cpn

Progress measurement of the draft of technical specification

   <ddavis>
   [9]https://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Requiremen
   ts_Mapping -> Requirements Mapping table

      [9] https://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Requirements_Mapping

   <Paul_Higgs> cannot hear daniel

   <ddavis> :-(

   Daniel: The draft API is largely the same as the Mozilla TV API
   ... one difference regards the tuner notifications, which were
   supported in a previous version, but not in the current draft
   ... Under general program requirements, we have program data
   detail, there's a comment saying the requirement is unclear

   <Paul_Higgs> "[program.data.detail] Other detailed information
   of the channel/program with TV stream. "

   Bin: My understanding is this could be a general object
   allowing for other information, which could be extended by the
   implementation

   Daniel: In terms of progress, we have some requirements
   supported and some not
   ... Some sections are blank, such as time shifting and
   recording
   ... Should we focus on completing the partially supported
   sections first?

   Bin: Who has a plan to work on the partially
   supported/unsupported sections?

   Paul: For the specific APIs just mentioned, should we pass our
   requirements to the Media Stream recording API?

   <inserted> [10]Media Capture and Streams

     [10] http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-mediacapture-streams-20150212/

   Bin: So we should do a gap analysis on the Media Stream
   Recording API to see how well it supports our requirements

   Paul: The requirement for series recording implies there's a
   cron-type scheduler running

   Alex: This is meant to allow recording of an entire series
   containing an episode. This could be done through the EPG

   Paul: I think it could be done within the API or it could be at
   the application-level
   ... the requirement implies we can give an identifier to the
   system e.g., a TV-Anytime series id and have it automatically
   record

   Alex: I would prefer to see this at the application level

   Paul: In that case we could remove the recording.series
   requirement
   ... Could we modify the requirement, to split it between
   application and system level

   <inserted> scribenick: ddavis

   cpn: If one of our feature goals is feature parity with OIPF
   then that's where it's come from.
   ... If we can make it from the application layer that would be
   good.
   ... Complete but minimal would be good in my API - we don't
   need to bake all these features into the API itself.

   <inserted> scribenick: cpn

   Bin: I suggest asking this question on the mailing list, and
   take a decision on this requirement on the next call

   <scribe> ACTION: Alex to email the mailing list regarding the
   recording.series requirement and proposed solutions [recorded
   in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-23 - Email the mailing list regarding
   the recording.series requirement and proposed solutions [on
   Alexander Futász - due 2015-02-24].

   <scribe> ACTION: Paul to look at the Media Capture and Streams
   API and compare against our recording and timeshifting
   requirements [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-24 - Look at the media capture and
   streams api and compare against our recording and timeshifting
   requirements [on Paul Higgs - due 2015-02-24].

   <kaz> action-24 due march 10

   <trackbot> Set action-24 Look at the media capture and streams
   api and compare against our recording and timeshifting
   requirements due date to 2015-03-10.

   Paul: It may be that the time shifting requirements could be
   handled by the HTML video element
   ... I'll just look at the recording aspect, and leave
   timeshifting for now

   <kaz> action-24 due april 14

   <trackbot> Set action-24 Look at the media capture and streams
   api and compare against our recording and timeshifting
   requirements due date to 2015-04-14.

   <scribe> ACTION: Chris to look at the timeshifting requirements
   and the HTML video element [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-25 - Look at the timeshifting
   requirements and the html video element [on Chris Needham - due
   2015-02-24].

   <kaz> action-25 due march 17

   <trackbot> Set action-25 Look at the timeshifting requirements
   and the html video element due date to 2015-03-17.

   Bin: Regarding the emergency alert requirements, are these
   supported?

   Daniel: There's an isEmergency flag on the Channel object

   Alex: The API doesn't cover the notification requirement we
   have

   Paul: The channel emergency flag likely means the user can't
   tune to the channel
   ... There are different ways of handling alerts in different
   countries

   Bin: In the Mozilla case, the end user can't choose the
   emergency channel, but whenever content is available there it
   should be surfaced to the user

   Paul: This requires a dedicated tuner, in case something
   appears

   Bin: So the emergency alert is only partially supported

   <kaz> [14]emergency requirements

     [14] http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Player_Emergency_Profile

   Kaz: The Web Signage group has created a requirements document
   on emergency use cases

   Sung-Hei: This work isn't active at the moment. For major
   emergencies we would use the whole signage system

   <Paul_Higgs> in the US:
   [15]https://www.fema.gov/emergency-alert-system

     [15] https://www.fema.gov/emergency-alert-system

   Bin: We should revise the specification

   <scribe> ACTION: Bin to contact Sean and add emergency alert
   requirements to the spec [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-26 - Contact sean and add emergency
   alert requirements to the spec [on Bin Hu - due 2015-02-24].

   Kaz: We should also consider if we need a server push
   mechanism, because in that case we need to think about security
   as well

   Bin: The Web Apps group has defined a server push API

   <ddavis> [17]http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/ -> Push API

     [17] http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/

   Paul: We'll need to see whether an IP based emergency
   notification is permitted

   Bin: I think the focus for us is to surface the notifications
   from the platform. We're not defining the entire alerting
   platform here
   ... Each country has its own regulations for emergency systems

   Paul: So we define how to surface the notifications to the
   application layer, but not specify how even should be handled
   at that level

   Bin: Yes, i agree
   ... Next requirement to look at is the Conditional Access
   System

   Daniel: This is unsupported at present. Should we leave these
   and come back to them later?

   Bin: If we don't have anyone to work on these, they can be
   left, possibly for a future revision of the API

   <kaz> ACTION: bin to work on triggered interactive overlay
   requirements [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-27 - Work on triggered interactive
   overlay requirements [on Bin Hu - due 2015-02-24].

   Bin: We should aim to complete the API requirements by June.
   Then we can decide whether to defer anything remaining to a
   future revision

   Kaz: Is there a face to face meeting of the TV API CG planned?

   Bin: I would only be able to attend if its in the Bay Area
   ... we could have our next meeting colocated with the next Web
   and TV group meeting

   Kaz: I'll let the group know when we have more details

   <Paul_Higgs> sorry - have to drop off

   <kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Alex to email the mailing list regarding the
   recording.series requirement and proposed solutions [recorded
   in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Bin to contact Sean and add emergency alert
   requirements to the spec [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: bin to work on triggered interactive overlay
   requirements [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Chris to look at the timeshifting requirements
   and the HTML video element [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Paul to look at the Media Capture and Streams API
   and compare against our recording and timeshifting requirements
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [24]scribe.perl version
    1.140 ([25]CVS log)
    $Date: 2015-02-18 00:35:51 $

     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



-- 
Kaz Ashimura, W3C Staff Contact for TV, MMI, Voice, Geo, NFC and Auto
Tel: +81 3 3516 2504
Received on Wednesday, 18 February 2015 00:42:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:45:13 UTC