RE: ACTION-33 and ACTION-35: API additions to remianing requirements

From: Chris Needham <chris.needham@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 09:08:33 +0000
To: Paul Higgs <paul.higgs@ericsson.com>, Sean Lin <selin@mozilla.com>
CC: "public-tvapi@w3.org" <public-tvapi@w3.org>
Hi Sean and Paul,

Regarding parental control and programme recording:

> The parental control looks channel-based. But here are some derived questions:

> * Is it allowed to record a parental protected channel, or a program in that
> channel, when parental control is on? If so, then we only need to check
> parental control when trying to play the recorded data. (Should this restriction
> get applied to the recorded channel content which had been done before the
> channel is set to parental protected?)

>> PH> I believe it is OK to record a parental controlled program as long as the
>> parental control rating information is retained in the recording and is used
>> during playback. That said, if the recording file is not “secured” to the player
>> (and could be copied from the recorder) and played on a player that did not
>> honour parental ratings, then it should not be possible (i.e. most TV’s and
>> STB’s will not allow an network connected computer to FTP/copy off the
>> recording files)

> * But if it's not allowed, then we may need to reject the scheduling request
> under this situation. But what if the recording is on for the channel while it's
> set to parental protected?

Looking at the requirements [1], the recording.parental requirement says "The API SHALL be able to apply parental controls to playback of recorded programmes." So, I agree that we don't need to apply parental controls when recordings are being scheduled, but only on playback.

Best regards,

Chris

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Technical_Requirement