Re: [tvapi] minutes - 14 April 2015

On 2015-04-14 20:56, Paul Higgs wrote:
> Comments not raised during the call…
>
> To..
>
>     <tidoust> [I note that there is more than just the “how to
>
>     record” issue here, there is also the possibility to record
>
>     streams in the background (and schedule recordings) which
>
>     cannot be done either for the time being]
>
> This is probably true of any “background application” and something that
> the Task Scheduler API [1] should address (it even states “A scheduled
> task /must/ actively wake the system if the scheduled time is reached
> while sleeping.” as a requirement). In a TV environment, I don’t know
> what would happen if the App that initiated the timed event is not
> running at the scheduled event time

The Task Scheduler API would likely be part of the answer. However:

1. The Task Scheduler API will not be further developed as such, since
the Sysapps Working Group is winding down. The API is likely to end up
being incorporated in the Background Sync [2] specification and worked
upon by the WebApps Working Group. Problem is the Background Sync
specification does not yet have a notion of precise alarms since many
"background applications" do not need to start at a precise time.
Participants of this Community Group may want to follow and chime in
discussions in WebApps to ensure that the spec addresses this requirement.

2. An alarm makes it possible to run code in a ServiceWorker but that
code is not meant to run for a long period of time as stated at the end
of the Background Sync explainer document: "Like all ServiceWorker
events, 'sync' and 'periodicsync' may be terminated if they're taking an
unreasonable amount of time or CPU". Some exception to the rule would be
required for recording content. Again, participants of this Community
Group may want to describe their use cases and requirements.

In short, the purpose of the comment was to highlight that, even if
Media Capture could be used to record streams, there are other grey
areas to consider before one can effectively implement a useful TV
Recorder, as discussed with Jon Piesing on the mailing-list last month [3].

Thanks,
Francois.

[2] https://github.com/slightlyoff/BackgroundSync/blob/master/explainer.md
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tvapi/2015Mar/0006.html