Accessing media contents with MediaStream

From: Shelly Lin <slin@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
To: public-tvapi@w3.org
Hi everyone,

Just want to share some thoughts on the topic of accessing media contents broadcast by providers.

Since there is no doubt on rendering TV contents via <video> and <audio>, we (Mozilla) were debating on accessing media contents with URI-base schema or MediaStream[1] objects. The final call in our TV Manager API[2] draft chose MediaStream, using MediaStream objects to represent contents streamed by a TV tuner.

Here are the reasons of advocating MediaStream:
- MediaStream contains a lot more information then URIs, e.g. numbers or types of contained tracks.
- MediaStream knows which tracks are "alive", it itself is a concept of streaming data.
- MediaStream plug in well with existing media functionality in the web platform, such as Media Recorder, Web Audio, ...etc.
- MediaSteram are much simplified at the phase of resource selection and resource fetching.
- Tracks contained within a MediaStream (MediaStreamTrack) provide other useful information, such as capabilities, constrains, ...etc.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html#mediastream
[2] http://seanyhlin.github.io/TV-Manager-API/#tvtuner-interface

Thank you very much.

Cheers,