From: Michael Dolan <mike@dolan.tv>
Date: Thursday, 17 March 2022 at 19:34
To: "public-tt@w3.org" <public-tt@w3.org>
Subject: chunked IMSC1
Resent from: <public-tt@w3.org>
Resent date: Thursday, 17 March 2022 at 19:34

All,

Has anyone thought about this lately?  In the TTML1 days we pondered it a bit.  By “chunked” I mean in the HTTP sense.  That is, an IMSC1 document could be broken into pieces and delivered a few bytes at a time say every 500ms.  There are low latency use cases that need this sort of delivery where decode and presentation continues throughout a certain period. Today, when building ISO BMFF segments, one has to gather up all text over several seconds, create a well-formed document, and then deliver that well-formed document before presentation can begin. This inserts a delay relative to how 608 and Teletext work. And, it inserts the same delay into the video and audio as well – that is, the decoder cannot start decoding video and audio until the text is ready to go.

Even if no one has pondered this lately, is there interest?

Regards,
              Mike

"keep calm and carry on"
Michael DOLAN