Re: F2f agenda

Hi Pierre

you’re a step ahead of me, so thanks.

1) The process requires:
 • must show that the specification has met all Working Group requirements, or explain why the requirements have changed or been deferred,
 • must document changes to dependencies during the development of the specification,
 • must document how adequate implementation experience will be demonstrated,
 • must specify the deadline for comments, which must be at least 28 days after publication, and should be longer for complex documents,
 • must show that the specification has received wide review, and
 • may identify features in the document as "at risk". These features may be removed before advancement to Proposed Recommendation without a requirement to publish a new Candidate Recommendation.

The WG requirements were to publish VTT as a Rec., so that it got the scrutiny of the W3C community (wide review etc.), the testing and so on, so bullet #1 is sort of a tautology.

I do not believe that there are changes to dependencies.

The Wiki <https://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/EffortsAndSpecifications> is an open page where we document implementations, and experience is reflected in the BugZilla and GitHub issues filed.

I expect the WG to set the deadline for comments.

The VTT wide review page documents the two rounds of Wide review <https://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/WebVTT_Wide_Review>.

The features at risk. Again, I expect WG input on this, but I would consider:
* the pre-defined color classes have only just been inserted into the spec, but they are important, as Andreas notes, for some use cases
* I am not sure if there are adequate implementations yet for STYLE blocks, but they are an important feature for some authors and use cases
* there is some concern over Regions, but they are implemented in two independent implementations at Apple (though not quite conforming to the latest revision of the spec.)

accordingly, I would suggest that the document not proceed beyond CR unless these are implemented, and that therefore there are no features ‘at risk’ of removal in a PR and Rec.

2) Philippe asked for

- a Working Group decision to move the document to CR (could be in teleconf minutes, email, github, etc.)
- issues remains to be tagged https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/issues #413, #406, #393, #392, #391
- the list of issues that should be highlighted to the Director, if any
- the estimated minimum duration of the CR phase (>= 1 month)
- the CR exit criteria, eg "2 implementations for each required and optional features"
- some rough assessment of the test suite status
- some rough assessment of the current state of implementation in comparison to those exit criteria

Obviously, I would like to take this opportunity to deal with the first. To my mind, VTT has long been past the quality and adoption level we usually expect at CR (CR is formally ‘asking’ for implementations).

The issues are in hand, with resolutions found or the way ahead identified (pending commenter feedback).

I expect the WG to set the deadline for comments.

The CR exit criteria should, I think, be the usual, but we need to be careful, as we are with TTML. The test suite is based on WebPlatformTests and so assumes a full browser context. Just like with TTML, many implementations are stanbd-alone (e.g., Apple CoreMedia) or polyfill-based. We need to be clear that demonstrating implementation needs to allow for demonstrations not using WPT.

The test suite is in good shape, modulo the general WPT issue above; we paid a contractor (Silvia’s son) to enhance it recently, and at TPAC, I explicitly asked around what people thought, and got positive feedback (indeed, Simon said that he thought Ben had done a much better job than expected, or what we deserved for what we paid!).

The rough assessment of the implementations is that a number of the changes (mostly minor) to the spec. during the review it’s had have not yet been reflected in implementations, and that the features I note above in the ‘at risk’ discussion need implementation before we can exit CR.

3) You ask for:

- documentation of substantive changes
- how adequate implementation experience will be demonstrated
- list of organizations that should be informed of the transition

I’m not sure when you want substantive changes since, but the ones that come to mind are STYLE blocks, the pre-defined colors, and the tighter definition of conformance classes.

See above for the discussion of implementation.

The organizations that should be informed should be formed by a union of nominations from the WG, but I would include MPEG, CTA (Wave), DASH-IF, at the minimum.

Thanks again, see you next week

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.