[ttml2] Applicability of a property on anonymous spans

From: Cyril Concolato via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 00:24:24 +0000
To: public-tt@w3.org
cconcolato has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/ttml2:

== Applicability of a property on anonymous spans ==
The following sentence is repeated 31 times in TTML2:
> For the purpose of determining applicability of this style property, each character child of a p element is considered to be enclosed in an anonymous span.

IIUC, it is meant to cover the case where a property is applicable on spans but the content has no span. I find it very confusing (it was already in TTML1) because:
- it talks about "applicability" already covered the "Applies to" row of the property definition,
- and because it is used in weird places:
  - properties already directly applicable on p elements: tts:backgroundClip, tts:backgroundColor, tts:backgroundImage, tts:backgroundOrigin,  tts:backgroundPosition, tts:backgroundRepeat, tts:border, tts:direction, tts:display, tts:fontFamily, etc.

I would propose to have either:
- 'anonymous span' be present in the "Applies to" row in the property definition,
- and/or a general note (maybe in the introduction to section 10) such as:

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/533 using your GitHub account