Re: Turning TTML2 into Hobo Stew

We already agreed to consider each attribute individually. I don't think the issues raised are intended necessarily to conclude with inclusion, but are there to ensure that we cover everything and come to a decision. Indeed it may be that we come to the conclusion in every case not to include the attributes in TTML2.

I would just ask that we all approach these issues with an open mind to the benefits and "disbenefits" (ugh) both for TTML2 and for IMSC vNext, and think about the needs of the constituents who will use those specifications.

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com<mailto:glenn@skynav.com>>
Date: Monday, 6 November 2017 at 07:35
To: TTWG <public-tt@w3.org<mailto:public-tt@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Turning TTML2 into Hobo Stew

Let me suggest an alternative approach to muddying the TTML2 spec by pulling in foreign namespaces: define a profile of TTML2 and pull those foreign namespaces into that profile. Oh, that almost sounds like IMSCvNext, doesn't it... You can build on TTML2 in such a profile and bring in alternative mechanisms to those defined by TTML2. You can allow authors to use either (or both) the TTML2 defined features or (and) non-TTML2 defined extensions. You can deprecate one or the other as you wish. The point being that this approach is already the approach followed by IMSCv1, EBU-TT, SMPTE-TT, and others, so just continue that approach in IMSCvNext, but don't ask that TTML2 adopt the same approach.