Re: TTML2 comments on roll-up and paint-on captions

From: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:22:54 +0000
To: "Goldstein, Glenn" <glenn.goldstein@viacom.com>, "public-tt@w3.org" <public-tt@w3.org>
> This approach would simplify the conversion of 608/708 captions to TTML, and eliminate the complexity and clutter of overlapping cues and timed <span> tags.

Please could you explain more about the impact of the "complexity and clutter" for you?

Kind regards,

Nigel

From: "Goldstein, Glenn" <glenn.goldstein@viacom.com<mailto:glenn.goldstein@viacom.com>>
Date: Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 23:17
To: "public-tt@w3.org<mailto:public-tt@w3.org>" <public-tt@w3.org<mailto:public-tt@w3.org>>
Subject: TTML2 comments on roll-up and paint-on captions

In my opinion, the approach taken for supporting roll-up and paint-on modes (2 important caption styles in the US) could be simplified by having explicit regions attributes, as in tts:paintmode=”rollup” or tts:paintmode=”painton”. For rollups, the scrolling style could also be designated as “smooth” or “discrete”.

This approach would simplify the conversion of 608/708 captions to TTML, and eliminate the complexity and clutter of overlapping cues and timed <span> tags.

Glenn Goldstein
SVP, Chief Technology Convergence Officer
Viacom MTS