W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > July 2017

Re: [DRAFT] Call for Wide Review of TTML2 WD for @@ Group

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 00:28:19 -0600
Message-ID: <CACQ=j+dB2AcS8qq_1xNEK3yGnh9KgQAvsSwR7mPPtz2aRgD1XA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org>
Cc: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>, W3C Public TTWG <public-tt@w3.org>
I think it is too long and needs to be more succinctly summarized. I'll
take a stab at this later today (Friday).

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:56 PM, Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org> wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> Let me know if you agree to the following with Nigel's input. If so I will
> send it.
>
> Thierry
>
>
> Le 06/07/2017 à 18:10, Nigel Megitt a écrit :
>
>> Applying the summary of changes emailed previously, with some minor edits
>> to reflect recent changes, gives the following, for review please:
>>
>> [[
>> Dear @@@ Group,
>>
>> The W3C Timed Text Working Group has recently published a new working
>> draft of the Timed Text Markup Language 2 (TTML2).
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-ttml2-20170630/
>>
>> TTML2, provides a standardized representation of a particular subset of
>> textual information with which stylistic, layout, and timing semantics
>> are associated by an author or an authoring system for the purpose of
>> interchange and processing.
>> In addition to being used for interchange among legacy distribution
>> content formats, TTML Content may be used directly as a distribution
>> format, providing, for example, a standard content format to reference
>> from a <track> element in an HTML5 document, or a <text> or <textstream>
>> media element in a [SMIL 3.0] document.
>>
>> The TTML2 specification updates the TTML1 specification by adding
>> vocabulary and semantics to address more of its core requirements.
>>
>> In summary it supports continuous animation of styling and positioning,
>> dereferencing and use of embedded or externally located resources such
>> as images, fonts, and audio, a more easily extensible metadata
>> mechanism, the ability to specify alternate initial values for styling,
>> a more useful profile mechanism, a conditional processing mechanism and
>> a serialisation format for resolved temporal subsections (intermediate
>> synchronic documents). The styling vocabulary has been increased to
>> support advanced text layout requirements such as Ruby, text emphasis,
>> images, backgrounds and shadows. An audio processing model has been
>> Introduced with basic audio mixing and text to speech support including
>> gain, pan, pitch and speak (rate) based on Web Audio and SSML.
>>
>> At a functional level this means that TTML2 supports text layout
>> requirements for (almost) every script globally, is more fit for
>> purpose in terms of profiling and use by other downstream systems,
>> supports audio (video) description workflows and allows for more
>> predictable rendering by means of referencing specific fonts to use.
>> Conditional processing, such as semantic or transformation processing,
>> based on parameters, media queries, language selection etc are now also
>> possible.
>>
>> Several semantics defined non-normatively in TTML1 have been promoted
>> to being normative. All TTML1 documents are valid TTML2 documents;
>> however, TTML2 documents that specify Version 2, may not be valid TTML1
>> documents. Where there is feature overlap between deprecated and new
>> features, such as tts:origin and tts:position, precedence rules are
>> defined. Where appropriate, references have been updated, including
>> normative references.
>>
>>
>> The TTWG invites you to review this draft, and requests comments to be
>> received by 30 Sept 2017. These comments will be used to fulfil the
>> W3C Process [3] requirement for Wide Review of drafts, and  Horizontal
>> Review [4]  prior to publication as Candidate Recommendation.
>>
>> If you wish to make comments regarding this document, please send them
>> to public-tt@w3.org <mailto:public-tt@w3.org?subject=%5Bttml%5B> with
>> [ttml2] at the start of your email's subject. All comments are welcome,
>> however the scope of review will be mainly focused on the new features
>> introduced in TTML2.
>>
>> A cumulative summary of all changes applied to this version since the
>> current (TTML1, 2nd Edition) Recommendation was published is available
>> for your convenience [5].
>>
>>
>> [1] TTML2 latest version https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml2/
>> [2] TTML1 Recommendation https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml1/
>> [3] W3C Process https://www.w3.org/2017/Process-20170301/
>> [4] Horizontal Review
>> https://www.w3.org/Guide/Charter.html#horizontal-review
>> [5] https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-ttml2-20170630/ttml2-changes.html
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> On behalf of Nigel Megitt, co-Chair, W3C Timed Text Working Group
>> Thierry Michel, Staff Contact for TTWG.
>> ]]
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 06/07/2017, 15:01, "Thierry MICHEL" <tmichel@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> resending with proper title TTML2
>>>
>>> Le 06/07/2017 à 11:54, Thierry MICHEL a écrit :
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Dear @@@ Group,
>>>>
>>>> The W3C Timed Text Working Group has recently published a new working
>>>> draft of the Timed Text Markup Language 2 (TTML2).
>>>>
>>>> https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-ttml2-20170630/
>>>>
>>>> TTML2, provides a standardized representation of a particular subset of
>>>> textual information with which stylistic, layout, and timing semantics
>>>> are associated by an author or an authoring system for the purpose of
>>>> interchange and processing.
>>>> In addition to being used for interchange among legacy distribution
>>>> content formats, TTML Content may be used directly as a distribution
>>>> format, providing, for example, a standard content format to reference
>>>> from a <track> element in an HTML5 document, or a <text> or <textstream>
>>>> media element in a [SMIL 3.0] document.
>>>>
>>>> The TTWG invites you to review this draft, and requests comments to be
>>>> received by 30 Sept 2017. These comments will be used to fulfil the
>>>> W3C Process [3] requirement for Wide Review of drafts, and  Horizontal
>>>> Review [4]  prior to publication as Candidate Recommendation.
>>>>
>>>> If you wish to make comments regarding this document, please send them
>>>> to public-tt@w3.org <mailto:public-tt@w3.org with [ttml2] at the start
>>>> of your email's subject. All comments are welcome, however the scope of
>>>> review will be mainly focused on the new features introduced in TTML2.
>>>>
>>>> A cumulative summary of all changes applied to this version since the
>>>> current (TTML1, 2nd Edition) Recommendation was published is available
>>>> for your convinience [5].
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [1] TTML2 latest version https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml2/
>>>> [2] TTML1 Recommendation https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml1/
>>>> [3] W3C Process https://www.w3.org/2017/Process-20170301/
>>>> [4] Horizontal Review
>>>> https://www.w3.org/Guide/Charter.html#horizontal-review
>>>> [5] https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-ttml2-20170630/ttml2-changes.html
>>>>
>>>> Kind regards,
>>>>
>>>> On behalf of Nigel Megitt, co-Chair, W3C Timed Text Working Group
>>>> Thierry Michel, Staff Contact for TTWG.
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>> -----------------------------
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk
>> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and
>> may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless
>> specifically stated.
>> If you have received it in
>> error, please delete it from your system.
>> Do not use, copy or disclose the
>> information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender
>> immediately.
>> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails
>> sent or received.
>> Further communication will signify your consent to
>> this.
>> -----------------------------
>>
>>
>
Received on Friday, 7 July 2017 06:29:13 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 5 October 2017 18:24:41 UTC