Re: {minutes} TTWG Meeting 2016-02-18

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
wrote:

> From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> Date: Thursday, 18 February 2016
> 18:50
>

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> [snip]
>

>> TTML2
>>
>>    nigel: Just to note that we have a merged PR, which I
>>    submitted, which updates all the issue links to point to
>>    github.
>>    ... The media timing semantics PR is still open.
>>    ... There's also been discussion of the use of inline block
>>    semantics.
>>
>>    [15]https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/146
>>
>>      [15] https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/146
>>
>>    nigel: On this one I was concerned that the semantics lead to
>>    unwanted behaviours, but I think we can get around them
>>    ... mostly using nested span. The only outstanding issue I
>>    cannot find a way to solve right now is that BBC wants to be
>>    ... able to paint background areas behind spans that have the
>>    same height as lineHeight, and we cannot see a reliable
>>    ... way to do this. I plan to file an issue within the next
>>    week unless we can work out how.
>>    ... I can't see a way yet to achieve this in CSS, and it may
>>    need a new semantic on tts:padding to allow that to happen.
>>
>> It would be useful to see some images depicting desired results; this
> looks similar to a problem I addressed in an SVG implementation (batik) to
> add support for background coloring of text and tspan elements, wherein I
> defined:
>

> Something like the attached might help. The line height is in general
> larger than the font size, and we wish to extend the background area of
> each line area to match the line height so that adjacent line areas are
> drawn without any gap in background.
>
> An effect similar to this is achieved on most browsers by using inline
> display semantics but I have been unable to make this work alongside other
> constraints such as text wrapping and white space pruning.
>
> I haven't found a way to do it in CSS, but it can be done reliably in
> Javascript by querying the line areas heights and then updating padding.
> Clearly we want a solution that is not dependent on scripting if possible,
> though mapping a new non-CSS semantic may require it of course.
>

> background-color: <color>
> background-mode: bbox | lineHeight
> background-padding: <length>{1,4}
>
> The second of these, background-mode, determined the extent of the
> rectangles to colorize;
>

> That seems exactly what we want.
>
> the third of these, background-padding, allows manually extending the
> background color rectangle on any of the edges.
>
> We could do something like this in TTML2; however, it might not readily
> translate to an HTML/CSS based renderer.
>

> I'd like to explore how we can express this semantic in TTML2. Any
> suggestions?

I would suggest we add the following style property attributes (names to be
considered tentative at this point):

tts:backgroundColorBounds: bbox | lineHeight (default:
tts:backgroundColorOutdent: <length>{1,4} (default: 0px)

We may need an additional value on the first that effectively means
lineHeight + leading, depending on whether the definition of line height
includes leading or not. [I think you want line height + leading (if line
height does not already include leading),  or just line height (if line
height includes leading).]

I use 'Outdent' suffix in the latter, as opposite of 'Indent'; 'Outset' is
another option (opposite of 'Inset'); 'Padding' and 'Outline' are also
options but may be confused with existing usage. Suggestions are welcome.