Re: <initial> vs inherited

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
wrote:

> Hi Glenn et al.,
>
> >Perhaps we need to review
> > uninheritable properties in TTML2 to determine if we need to upgrade
> them to
> > inheritable,
>
> I like the idea of having a single mechanism for setting an initial
> value for properties, i.e. avoid having to set a property explicitly
> throughout the document.
>
> Expanding inheritance (instead of introducing a new <initial> element)
> seems promising, and intuitive.

That won't be sufficient, since we will not be able to make everything
inherit. The reason for this is related to the semantics of specific style
properties. For example, the following cannot inherit:

   - tts:backgroundColor
   - tts:backgroundImage
   - tts:backgroundPosition
   - tts:backgroundRepeat
   - tts:border
   - tts:bpd
   - tts:display
   - tts:extent
   - tts:ipd
   - tts:opacity
   - tts:origin
   - tts:overflow
   - tts:padding
   - tts:position
   - tts:ruby
   - tts:unicodeBidi
   - tts:writingMode
   - tts:zIndex

Possible candidates for upgrading to inheritable are:

   - tts:displayAlign
   - tts:showBackground

So really, only these two are *potentially* able to be recast as
inheritable in TTML2. All the rest (above) rely on initial value, and, for
that matter, initial value also applies to inheritable properties at the
top of the inheritance tree (region in TTML1, tt in TTML2).

The initial element is already written into the TTML2 spec, implemented,
deployed, and previously discussed in the WG (though perhaps we didn't dive
in too deeply).