Re: TTML / tts:showBackground='always'

To be clear, I should add that, if no timing appears on region, then
regions are always temporally active in TTML1; therefore, if showBackground
is always, then you are correct that a region would be displayed regardless
of whether content is selected into the region. Note, however, that if a
region has a transparent background, then there would be no visible marks.

You will need to specify whenVisible on showBackground to avoid this
situation. In TTML2, one could simply specify

<initial tts:showBackground="whenActive"/>

to change the initial value, but you don't have this option in TTML1/IMSC1.