[ttml2] TTML Intermediate Document Type "non-hierarchical"

From: Nigel Megitt via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 15:19:07 +0000
To: public-tt@w3.org
nigelmegitt has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/ttml2:

== TTML Intermediate Document Type "non-hierarchical" ==
The description of the TTML Intermediate Document Type in
http://w3c.github.io/ttml2/spec/ttml2.html#ttml-intermediate-doctype
includes the text:

> all discrete animation, styling, and timing information is denoted
in a non-hierarchical (flat), temporally linear manner.

>From the words "non-hierarchical (flat)" the reader may conclude that
the intermediate document type is essentially a list, rather than a
tree. However the ISD structure itself is in fact hierarchical,
including potentially multiple regions, each of which contains a body
that may contain many divs, etc. and each content element refers to a
computed style set by id rather than inline.

I think the text is intended to imply that no style inheritance rules
need be applied (for example), but it does not quite convey that, if
it is indeed the intention. I suggest a second editorial pass on this
wording.

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/225 using your GitHub account