Re: ISSUE-446: Should be a subset of IMSC1 [TTML WebVTT mapping note]

> On Sep 23, 2015, at 4:10 , Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I disagree that the T2VP profile should be deliberately constrained to be
> a subset of IMSC1, because it would be too limiting and wasn't specified
> in the charter description of this Note.

I’m with Nigel.  Well, mostly. No, no, I support him.

Let’s work out the best mapping, and then if the mapped part of TTML is not cleanly part of a current profile, think about how to handle that case. So I am sort of with both of you: I don’t want to constrain the mapping work a priori, but I also don’t want to emerge with a needless mismatch a posteriori.

> I do agree that if there are significant things that prevent IMSC 1 from
> being mappable to WebVTT then we should look at the discrepancies and try
> to reconcile them. I also would not object to an additional set of
> constraints that explain what limitations would apply to WebVTT in order
> to convert it to IMSC 1, extra to what could be done if mapping to TTML1
> more generally.
>
> Some obvious things that aren't in WebVTT but are constraints of IMSC 1
> that I do not think we need to carry over are the reference fonts, the
> simultaneously active region limit and the HRM.

Yup.

> Nigel
>

> On 23/09/2015 05:51, "Timed Text Working Group Issue Tracker"
> <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> ISSUE-446: Should be a subset of IMSC1 [TTML WebVTT mapping note]
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/446
>>
>> Raised by: Pierre-Anthony Lemieux
>> On product: TTML WebVTT mapping note
>>
>> The profile/authoring guidelines specified in the document should be a
>> subset of IMSC1:
>>
>> - it helps narrow down the set of features to be supported, e.g. no need
>> to support #markerMode
>> - it simplifies the job of implementers who are already supporting IMSC1
>>
>> Features have been deemed necessary but are not in IMSC1 should be
>> considered for addition there.
>>

> -----------------------------
> http://www.bbc.co.uk
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and
> may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> If you have received it in
> error, please delete it from your system.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the
> information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender
> immediately.
> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails
> sent or received.
> Further communication will signify your consent to
> this.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.