From: Nigel Megitt [mailto:nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, October 2, 2015 8:30 AM
To: Michael Dolan <mdolan@newtbt.com>; 'Glenn Adams' <glenn@skynav.com>; 'Cyril Concolato' <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr>
Cc: 'TTWG' <public-tt@w3.org>
Subject: Re: {minutes} TTWG Meeting 2015-10-01

From: Michael Dolan < <mailto:mdolan@newtbt.com> mdolan@newtbt.com> Date: Friday, 2 October 2015 16:24

I made the wiki draft non-normative (I believe) by removing the combination language.

I understood our plan was to concurrently document the media extension in this Note and in TTML2 (which would extend it). The revision to the media type is to add an optional “codec” parameter with a syntax of the form: codec=<short_name>[<extension_syntax>], where:

short_name shall be from the Profile Registry

extension_syntax is an optional string to be defined by TTML2 for the combination syntax and semantics previously in the CodecsProfile wiki.

The latter is an attempt to give near term users a heads up that there may be characters following the short_name in the future and thus not to do a string compare on the entire value.

I would be in favour of including the proposal for the extension syntax now because it has a clear use case and I don't expect us to need to change it. That's an even clearer heads up!

The delay to Rec publication for this registry will kill anyone using it in my view.  It will eventually all be in Rec TTML2 for those that can’t handle a Note for some reason (although I agree with Glenn that “normative” is in the eye of the one citing it and it really should not be an issue). DASH-IF IOP 3.1 already cites the wiki, so we need to do this ASAP!

>> b) the registry does not confuse people by redefining what MPEG defines

>>  b) is partially addressed as the 'stpp' row is still there.

Summarizing the last email on this – it is there because it is in use today, for better or worse.  Some options: 1) delete it and thus make existing use illegal; or 2) allow it but clearly deprecate its use.

I may have misunderstood the issue with stpp but I thought that it can be used for TTML since TTML is an XML subtitle format, but what we have to make sure we don't do is claim that we are defining it, or somehow duplicate the definition. Rather we have to clarify that we're only defining an extension to allow content providers to specify exactly which profile(s) of TTML a processor needs to support to process the document.

>> which RFC you are talking about or what you mean by "non-W3C infrastructure issues".

RFC 6381 and the general lack of definition of definition/registration for some codec parameter values in use today by MPEG.

Regards,

                Mike