[webvtt] Normalization and string identity issues [I18N-ISSUE-425]

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 20:25:47 +0000
To: "public-tt@w3.org" <public-tt@w3.org>
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
I18N comment: https://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/425

http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#webvtt-file-structure

Various constructs such as 'cue identifier' are described as being:

--
...any sequence of one or more characters not containing the substring "-->"...
--

The document makes understood that this is a sequence of Unicode characters. However, it leaves open the question of whether different Unicode character sequences that represent the same semantic string identifier (see: Charmod [1] and Charmod-Norm [2]) are considered "the same" or not. As currently written, different UTF-8 byte sequences are considered distinct.

We would suggest that identifiers that use distinct code point sequences are considered distinct (that is, that you are what we call a "non-normalizing Specification"), which suggests that you include at least a health warning about the dangers of using different character sequences.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm/

Particularly: http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm/#formal-language and http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm/#non-normalizing

===