[webvtt] no provision for indicating overall content language(s) [I18N-ISSUE-420]

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 20:09:08 +0000
To: "public-tt@w3.org" <public-tt@w3.org>
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/420

http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1

We didn't find a means for indicating the natural language of the content as a whole. There is a cue language span, for spanning runs of text, but no way to indicate the language of the file as a whole (that is, the language outside a spanned section).

Lack of language tags means that language-specific processing, such as language-specific font selection, may not be available for the text, leading to substandard presentation.

---

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)