W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > June 2015

Re: [webvtt] Rename "line position" to "line offset". (#194)

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 08:01:36 +1000
Message-ID: <CAHp8n2m48UoEo=VJ1i9MaBdLK8D499fJ1VGHD41Vo42MKVTWuw@mail.gmail.com>
To: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, W3C Public TTWG <public-tt@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/06/2015 01:12, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:19 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>>> On Jun 9, 2015, at 13:09 , Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
>>>> [not sure why this thread suddenly included the TTWG - it was merely
>>>> on the github bug before for WebVTT]
>>> I was hoping to raise its visibility, in that I knew that my idea
>>>(below, critiqued) was weak, but maybe someone else had a better idea…
>>If somebody has a better idea for a term that an offset from the top
>>for describing the positioning of a box of lines from the top of the
>>video viewport, that would be helpful. I still believe "offset" works
>>better than "position" for this case.
> I thought part of the problem we are trying to solve is that the offset
> direction is dependent on the writing direction, so the offset might be
> from the left for vertical writing or the top for horizontal writing.

Yes it is. I used "top" for simplicity in the above description - it
was indeed incomplete.

> That's why I proposed the terms inline and block. If that's not the case
> then why don't we just use "position-horizontal" and "position-vertical"
> respectively?

The cause for the change was that using the word "position" for both
directions wass really confusing.

I've amended words in a new pull request but stuck with the word
"offset" since it clearly explains that we are offsetting from the
video viewport edge. I believe the new wording is actually really


>>>> I don't think those concepts are what we're actually dealing with.
>>>> Leading is the whitespace between lines
>>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading),
>>> well, or the whitespace before a paragraph, which is closer this
>>>meaning.  It has at least the advantage of being in the block
>>>progression dimension.
>>I've not seen "leading" used for whitespace offset in block
>>progression. "Line leading" reads a bit harder than "line offset",
>>>> not the distance from the top
>>>> of the page (which is what our "line" setting provides). Indent may
>>>> have worked, but we're already using "position”.
>>> yup.  major name changes might be confusing…
>>We should stick with "line" and "position" as the names, but we're
>>after better words for describing what they mean.
> I'd be happy to change the names - I think they're where the confusion
> begins for newcomers. Accepted it would also create confusion for those
> who are used to the current terminology.
> Nigel
> -----------------------------
> http://www.bbc.co.uk
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and
> may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> If you have received it in
> error, please delete it from your system.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the
> information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender
> immediately.
> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails
> sent or received.
> Further communication will signify your consent to
> this.
> -----------------------------
Received on Friday, 12 June 2015 22:02:24 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 5 October 2017 18:24:23 UTC