From: Silvia Pfeiffer [mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com]
Sent: 10 June 2015 01:13
To: David Singer
Cc: Nigel Megitt; W3C Public TTWG; Philip Jägenstedt
Subject: Re: [webvtt] Rename "line position" to "line offset". (#194)

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:19 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>> On Jun 9, 2015, at 13:09 , Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [not sure why this thread suddenly included the TTWG - it was merely
>> on the github bug before for WebVTT]
>
> I was hoping to raise its visibility, in that I knew that my idea
> (below, critiqued) was weak, but maybe someone else had a better idea…

If somebody has a better idea for a term that an offset from the top for describing the positioning of a box of lines from the top of the video viewport, that would be helpful. I still believe "offset" works better than "position" for this case.

>> I don't think those concepts are what we're actually dealing with.
>> Leading is the whitespace between lines
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading),
>
> well, or the whitespace before a paragraph, which is closer this meaning.  It has at least the advantage of being in the block progression dimension.

I've not seen "leading" used for whitespace offset in block progression. "Line leading" reads a bit harder than "line offset", too.

>> not the distance from the top
>> of the page (which is what our "line" setting provides). Indent may
>> have worked, but we're already using "position”.
>
> yup.  major name changes might be confusing…

We should stick with "line" and "position" as the names, but we're after better words for describing what they mean.

Thanks,
Silvia.

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation. Screen Subtitling Systems Ltd. Registered in England No. 2596832. Registered Office: The Old Rectory, Claydon Church Lane, Claydon, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP6 0EQ