Re: ISSUE-346: Need ttp:mediaDuration parameter [TTML2]

No processing requirements that use ttp:mediaDuration are stated either in
the ttp:mediaDuration section at [1]  or anywhere else in the document,
right now. Taken in isolation this would suggest that it is metadata and
should not be in the parameter namespace, however I think it is merely a
reflection of work in progress.

[1]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/default/ttml2/spec/ttml2.html#paramete

r-attribute-mediaDuration

My expectation is that, regardless of how they are calculated, the
effective media begin time and media end time will be used to define the
temporal period within which any ISDs should be created for display
alongside the related media, and that mediaDuration would therefore be
referenced in the Intermediate Synchronic Document Construction process at
[2]. There's an editorial note on that section - possibly when that note
has been resolved into spec text this will become clearer.

[2]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/default/ttml2/spec/ttml2.html#semantic

s-region-layout-step-1

I've proposed in the "Issue-270 and Issue-335" thread that starts at [3]
that this period might better be defined explicitly in terms of mediaBegin
and mediaEnd parameters expressed in the time base of the document. If
mediaDuration is needed and the time base and marker modes permit time
calculations (e.g. it is not SMPTE - discontinuous) then it can be
calculated as (mediaEnd - mediaBegin).

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2014Sep/0065.html

I'm interested in the requirement/use case though: when you say "allows
time values within a document to be 'offset' relative to the start of
associated media", what calculations are you envisaging that a processor
should perform, exactly, and in what circumstances might they be useful?

Kind regards,

Nigel