From: Nigel Megitt [mailto:nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 2:33 AM
To: Michael Dolan; 'Timed Text Working Group'
Subject: Re: ACTION-341: Check with the mpeg folk if a wg note would be acceptable.

When I wrote "the mpeg folk" that was short-hand for "the mpeg folk in this working group", not all of MPEG. The other thread you mention was the result of my doing this action.

Summary of conclusions from that thread:

* We should re-register the media type with IANA, based on some syntax that we publish somewhere.
* We do not have consensus to record the syntax and new media registration in the TTML2 spec.
* We do not have consensus to record the syntax and new media registration in a new WG Note.

Without consensus on where to specify the parameter syntax definition and the media registration we can not proceed.

I believe the four logical possibilities for where to record the syntax and new registration are (before discounting any if they're not
acceptable):

1. In TTML2
2. As a new WG Note.
3. As an erratum to TTML1.
4. As a new Recommendation (which would need to be added to the Charter as a group deliverable).

To establish if we have a consensus for any of these options now please could you respond with a numerical vote for each option, from the scale -1 to +1 where:

  -1 = formal objection
   0 = no objection
  +1 = strong preference

Fractional values can be used to indicate preference levels but only -1 will be considered an objection, i.e. -0.9 is a strong preference against, but something that you could live with.

Nigel