Re: proposed updated response to MPEG on codecs

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2014, at 18:05 , Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
> > I suppose here you are referring to, e.g., specifying #color in a
> profile definition document, but further restricting content to a subset of
> the value space of #color, thus ending up with an effective difference in
> what is required from a processor and what is permitted in a document.
> >

> I think that this is a weakened way to think of these profile tags.  I
> think a profile should be documented, with its restrictions and
> permissions, and they can be (in principle) as strange and arbitrary as
> they like.
>
> As long as there is a one-one match between an identifier and its
> definition (the short identifier Fred identifies the Fred profile as
> documented in http://www.example.com/frozentests/ttml-fred), then we’re
> fine.  If Fred wants to say “the color red shall only be used when the TTML
> content is served from a server hosted in a country in which the communist
> party polls more than 12.5% in the most recent national election” then so
> be it.

And, if Fred wants to register this profile, he needs to create a TTML
Profile Document and assign a TTML profile designator so it that can be
published in his informal "Fred's Profile Specification" and cited in the
short name registry. His profile document need to be nothing more than:

<ttp:profile designator="http://fred.org/ttml/profiles/#myprofile"
xmlns:ttp="http://www.w3.org/ttml/profile/"/>

Anyone who argues that doing this is an onerous requirement in order to
register an entry in the short profile registry is employing hyperbole.