Re: proposed updated response to MPEG on codecs

Hi Glenn,

Am 19.10.2014 um 18:02 schrieb Glenn Adams:

>>     Given these requirements, I'm not sure how to deal with an
>>     informal profile that doesn't have an associated TTML Profile
>>     Definition Document.
>     I can understand that. The term "informal profile" is pretty vague.
>
>>     It would seem much simpler to define such a document and
>>     associate it with this informal profile.
>>
>>     [1]
>>     https://www.w3.org/wiki/TTML/CodecsRegistry#Registration_Entry_Requirements_and_Update_Process
>
>     But my conclusion would be different. It is more to allow the
>     signalling of specs that do not use the TTML profiling mechanism.
>

> Since I haven't seen a rationale for avoiding use of the TTML profile
> mechanism in a specification defining activity, I am not willing to
> concede. Note that one can use the TTML profile mechanism in a
> defining activity without necessarily requiring a processor to use it.

The profiling mechanism is useful to have an informative reference what
is supported in different TTML profiles. It helps for an informative (!)
overview. Therefore it can be used and is used in a specification
defining activity. But I have some concerns to use it as a normative
reference. Discussion on this mechanism and different views on this
mechanisms have been expressed on this list in previous discussion. One
of my concerns is that different "profiles" list the same feature but
require only a limited support for that feature. The limitation can vary
per profile/dialect. As far as I know there is no way to express this
with the TTML profile mechanisms.

This is not a proposal to add a "subsetting mechanisms" for TTML
features. This would add more semantics to this architecture and would
not help adoption.

Best regards,

Andreas

Andreas Tai
Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200
http: www.irt.de | Email: tai@irt.de

registration court&  managing director:
Munich Commercial, RegNo. B 5191
Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns