Re: proposed updated response to MPEG on codecs

Thanks, Glenn! See comments inline:

Am 18.10.2014 um 17:11 schrieb Glenn Adams:

> At present, the rules for registration cited at [1] include:
>
>  1. ...
>  2. Each entry must include an absolute URI that serves as the TTML
>     Profile Designator that identifies the processor profile.
>  3. Each entry should include a link that references a TTML Profile
>     Definition Document that formally specifies the processor profile
>     using TTML profile definition vocabulary.
>  4. ...
>

> Requirement (2) mandates the use of a "TTML Profile Designator".

This is exactly the part I am concerned about. If a specification is not
a TTML profile (in the way that is defined by TTML 2) how can there be a
TTML profile designator?

> Your inquiry thus raises the question of whether it is possible to
> have a "TTML Profile Designator" for which there is no associated
> "TTML Profile Definition Document".

Yes, that makes indeed no sense. My use case is where there is no TTML
profile.

> Note that while the former (2) is mandated, the latter (3) is merely
> recommended.
>
> Further, our recent consensus resolution was to have the
> 'processorProfiles' MIME type parameter be semantically equivalent to
> the TTML2 'ttp:processorProfiles' parameter attribute, with the only
> difference being that the former uses a simpler syntax (short names
> and simple combiner operators).

Not sure about the timeline to come to an applicable solutions but I had
the impression there is some need for a solution before TTML 2 gets
final recommendation status.

> Given these requirements, I'm not sure how to deal with an informal
> profile that doesn't have an associated TTML Profile Definition Document.
I can understand that. The term "informal profile" is pretty vague.

> It would seem much simpler to define such a document and associate it
> with this informal profile.
>
> [1]
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TTML/CodecsRegistry#Registration_Entry_Requirements_and_Update_Process

But my conclusion would be different. It is more to allow the signalling
of specs that do not use the TTML profiling mechanism.

Best regards,

Andreas

> [...]
>>>
>>>             Am 17.10.2014 um 15:32 schrieb Cyril Concolato:
>>>
>>>                 Hi Andreas,
>>>
>>>                 Le 17/10/2014 14:33, Andreas Tai a écrit :
>>>
>>>                     As I understand the main intent of this
>>>                     communication is to define the responsibilities
>>>                     of the MPEG and TTWG  for the signalling of
>>>                     "TTML document dialects" in an MP4 container.
>>>                     There seems an agreement to use the MPEG codecs
>>>                     parameter where MPEG has the task to define a
>>>                     prefix and TTWG to define suffix.
>>>
>>>                     How the W3C/TTWG defines that suffix is not of
>>>                     core interest for the MPEG group (as long the
>>>                     general syntax for codecs parameter is
>>>                     followed). I highlight this because my following
>>>                     comment may not stop this letter because the
>>>                     "Suffix" definition is not decided yet and in
>>>                     the responsibility of the TTWG.
>>>
>>>                     Regarding the proposed solution in the liaison
>>>                     letter (and in this thread) more discussion
>>>                     seems to be needed. From my current review it
>>>                     may not be applicable for all "TTML dialects".
>>>                     Some "dialects", like EBU-TT-D, do not rely on
>>>                     the defined semantics of TTML profiles.
>>>                     Therefore I do not think that it is a good idea
>>>                     to make "TTML profiles" as a central concept for
>>>                     the codecs registry for "TTML dialects".
>>>
>>>                 The idea would be that EBU-TT-D would be registered
>>>                 and have a short name to be used as a dialect in the
>>>                 processorProfiles parameter.
>>>
>>>             In general this would meet an important requirement from
>>>             decoder implementers.
>>>
>>>                 EBU-TT-D may not "rely on the defined semantics of
>>>                 TTML profiles" but it can be viewed as a "dialect"
>>>                 of TTML. Is that clearer?
>>>

>>>             I think that the general pattern is a adequate solution.
>>>             The problem I see is with the definition what is meant
>>>             by a processor profile. A processor profile has defined
>>>             semantics. It reference the TTML profile mechanism. This
>>>             mechanism is a formally well-thought-out concept. But it
>>>             is not used consistently or not used by some TTML
>>>             dialects. As well it has not been fully understood by
>>>             some implementers. Therefore it would be good to have
>>>             the (additional) possibility to just reference the
>>>             specification of the "TTML dialect" without using the
>>>             profile semantics.
>>>
>>>                 Maybe the terms profiles or processorProfiles are
>>>                 misleading, I don't know.
>>>
>>>             In the current registry proposal (and in the TTML2)
>>>             draft "processor profile" has defined semantics. I think
>>>             it was chosen on purpose (although I do not agree that
>>>             this is the best solution).
>>>
>>>             | Maybe we should talk about dialects to cover not just
>>>             profiles of TTML but extensions too.
>>>
>>>             I think the use of an alternative term would be a good
>>>             idea because "profile" has a link to the semantic
>>>             concept of TTML profiles and often this linkage is not
>>>             intended.
>>>
>>>             Best regards,
>>>
>>>             Andreas
>>>

>>>                 Cyril
>>>

>>>                     Best regards,
>>>
>>>                     Andreas
>>>
>>>                     Am 17.10.2014 um 00:16 schrieb Michael Dolan:

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200