Re: Liaison response - template on MIME type parameter for TimedText

On May 5, 2014, at 4:42 , Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some points worth highlighting/repeating:
>
> - Aside from the MP4 problem, the problem is general. Consider a DASH MPD pointing to a TTML file (not packaged in a MP4). How can a player know that it'll be able to play it meaningfully without downloading the entire TTML file? Does it actually need to know or will it always be able to do something with a TTML file? The solution to this problem will provide the basis for the solution to the MP4 problem. Has the TTML WG considered defining a 'codecs' or 'profile' MIME parameter for TTML?

good point.  it would be nice if the sub-parameter for the codecs parameter when TTML is in MP4 were the same as the value of a parameter when the TTML is supplied not in a wrapper.

> - the codecs parameter of MP4 files is useful for identifying the content of each track in the file before the file is fully downloaded. In Adaptive Streaming contexts such as DASH, the initialization segment can also be downloaded in a first step to get information. So the codecs parameter does not have to provide all information. It could just indicate that the track contains some flavor of TTML and let the initialization segment provide more details. In that case, the solution could be as simple as: codecs=“stpp.ttml"

That’s legal under the current proposal.  But there was some hope that we could differentiate the profiles/variants of TTML, for players that ‘do’ say EBU but not another variant.

> - If more than TTML is needed, remember that a typical workflow for packaging/dashing is: get one (or more) TTML file, package it into an (existing) MP4 file, produce an MPD from that MP4 file. Only in the last step is the 'codecs' parameter generated. In MSE cases, you don't even need the MPD but you need to get (most likely in JS) the codecs parameter to create the source buffer. Ideally, the TTML 'codecs' string generator should not have to look at the content of the TTML document, only at the track sample entry (similar to AVC codecs generation).
>
> Regards,
> Cyril
>
> 03/05/2014 20:01, David Singer a écrit :
>> On May 3, 2014, at 9:06 , Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

>>> The codecs string starts with the 4CC of the sample entry.  After that, whoever defined that 4CC gets to say what’s the next element.  And they get to say what’s after that, and so on.
>>>
>>> stpp says “some sort of XML”,
>>>
>>> since VTT isn't XML, then would it use something different from stpp?
>> yes, we have different 4CCs for text-based and XML-based formats.  stpp is for XML-based
>>
>>>  and is owned by MPEG.  So indeed the step that goes from ‘stpp’ to ‘some sort of TTML’ is owned by MPEG, and MPEG still needs to resolve this.
>>>
>>> The thrust is that IF MPEG solves that, THEN there will be names to identify TTML dialects, that could go next.  So you would see
>>>
>>> codecs=stpp.<some MPEG magic to say it is TTML happens>.TTMLFULL+IMSC+SDPUS+EBUTT
>>>
>>> I would expect something more simple, e.g.
>>>
>>> stpp.vtt
>>> stpp.ttml.tt1f
>>> stpp.ttml.tt1p
>>> stpp.ttml.tt1t