W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > October 2013

{minutes} Halloween TTML Meeting and Thank You Sean

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:53:47 -0400
Message-ID: <1383234827.2183.234.camel@chacal>
To: public-tt <public-tt@w3.org>
Available at www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html

Text version:

                Timed Text Working Group Teleconference

31 Oct 2013

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2013Oct/0059.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Mike, pal, glenn, nigel, Plh, jdsmith, mijordan, sean

   Regrets
   Chair
          nigel

   Scribe
          Glenn, plh

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]TPAC F2F agenda
         2. [6]IANA registration of MIME type
         3. [7]open actions
         4. [8]issue discussed over last week
         5. [9]EBU liaison letter
         6. [10]Draft charter
         7. [11]next week meeting
         8. [12]AOB?
     * [13]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

TPAC F2F agenda

   <nigel> [14]http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/tpac

     [14] http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/tpac

   nigel: folks should review and comment/edit proposed agenda as
   needed

   plh: issue about IMSC?
   ... regarding I18N
   ... specifically regarding support for subsets of Unicode code
   space
   ... Richard Ishida
   ... need a specific time to coordinate

   <scribe> ACTION: plh to inquire with richard ishida about good
   time to discuss [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-226 - Inquire with richard ishida
   about good time to discuss [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due
   2013-11-07].

   pal: should i file one or more issues?

   <scribe> ACTION: nigel to inform PLH when issue(s) filed in
   order to coordinate [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-227 - Inform plh when issue(s) filed
   in order to coordinate [on Nigel Megitt - due 2013-11-07].

   pal: who will take animate?

   glenn: can take

   <scribe> ACTION: nigel to coordinate with David Singer re: VTT
   agenda items. [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-228 - Coordinate with david singer
   re: vtt agenda items. [on Nigel Megitt - due 2013-11-07].

   action-226: add I18N issue to TPAC agenda

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-226 Inquire with richard
   ishida about good time to discuss.

IANA registration of MIME type

   plh: have received feedback from IANA
   ... (1) could handle has a new PER

   glenn: how about doing an errata entry?
   ... thinks they are nitpicking and prefers pushing back on IANA
   comments

   plh: maybe would be better to have someone else handle this
   communication rather than having to go through PLH

   glenn: suggests mike handle this

   mike: ok with this

   plh: notes that IANA meeting is next week, but that he won't be
   there (at that meeting)

   nigel: will reassign action-88 to mike

   action-88?

   <trackbot> action-88 -- Mike Dolan to Make sure the TTML media
   type is properly registered for Issue-175. -- due 2013-10-31 --
   OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [18]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/88

     [18] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/88

open actions

   action-224?

   <trackbot> action-224 -- Pierre-Anthony Lemieux to Query mike
   on priority for issue-72 -- due 2013-10-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [19]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/224

     [19] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/224

   issue-72?

   <trackbot> issue-72 -- Smooth scrolling by means of reference
   area offset -- open

   <trackbot>
   [20]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/72

     [20] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/72

   mike: what is defined in TTML1SE is adequate, i.e., note about
   smooth interpolation between ISD (cue) instances
   ... shouldn't do this unless there is a proponent

   nigel: jerry? any push from MSFT on this?

   glenn: suggests closing as WONTFIX or LATER designation

   issue-71: consider this as WONTFIX or LATER

   <trackbot> Notes added to issue-71 bottom edge padding example.

   issue-72: consider this as WONTFIX or LATER

   <trackbot> Notes added to issue-72 Smooth scrolling by means of
   reference area offset.

   issue-71: ignore last comment

   <trackbot> Notes added to issue-71 bottom edge padding example.

   action-225?

   <trackbot> action-225 -- Glenn Adams to Work with plh to update
   standalone profile docs for ttml1se -- due 2013-10-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [21]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/225

     [21] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/225

   glenn: no update

   action-59?

   <trackbot> action-59 -- Sean Hayes to Draft CP for adding
   content shrink fit features -- due 2012-04-12 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [22]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/59

     [22] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/59

   sean: believes requirement for this came from EBU
   ... suggests finding person from EBU to push/support this
   ... FCC requirements to allow user to resize font may be use
   case for shrink fit size of region
   ... someone needs to look at what CSS supports in this area
   ... in which case we could define functionality using this CSS
   support

   nigel: possibly interacts with requirement about background
   padding and/or deterministic rendering

   glenn: thinks shrink fit is separate issue
   ... see
   [23]http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#shrink-to-fit-float
   for CSS shrink-to-fit width discussion

     [23] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#shrink-to-fit-float

   action-59: was originally proposed for issue-160

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-59 Draft CP for adding content
   shrink fit features.

   issue-160?

   <trackbot> issue-160 -- Centered flush left captions -- closed

   <trackbot>
   [24]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/160

     [24] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/160

   action-58?

   <trackbot> action-58 -- Sean Hayes to Draft CP for adding
   margin suppport -- due 2012-04-12 -- CLOSED

   <trackbot>
   [25]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/58

     [25] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/58

   close action-59

   <trackbot> Closed action-59.

   action-94?

   <trackbot> action-94 -- Sean Hayes to Do revisions to proposal
   for Issue 179. -- due 2012-09-06 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [26]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/94

     [26] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/94

   issue-179?

   <trackbot> issue-179 -- Interpreting the pixel measure -- open

   <trackbot>
   [27]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/179

     [27] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/179

   sean: did a proposal for action-94, so think its done

   glenn: notes that we specifically define px to mean what XSL
   1.1 defines (see TTML1SE 8.3.9)

   mike: notes that most authors of TTML assume pixel is in terms
   of pixels of related media object; others have interpreted as
   (display) device pixels

   <plh> scribe: plh

   pal: what's the proposed text?

   sean: [gives text]
   ... part of problem here is that ttml doesn't require a video
   object at all
   ... the idea is that, absent any video, that would still work
   ... [...]

   nigel: let's discuss this at TPAC
   ... this specifies rules on how we overlay over video
   ... so we should tackle the issue then
   ... no need for action at the moment

   sean: the action can be closed, keep the issue closed

   close action-94

   <trackbot> Closed action-94.

   --

   action-141?

   <trackbot> action-141 -- Sean Hayes to Call for Action to
   identify discrepancies in TTML 1.0 on different profiles. --
   due 2013-02-14 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [28]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/141

     [28] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/141

   Sean: Glenn will do this
   ... this was pointed out by Mike originally

   action-164?

   <trackbot> action-164 -- Sean Hayes to Investigate interop
   issues using CSS familyName constructs -- due 2013-06-06 --
   OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [29]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/164

     [29] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/164

   Sean: should be assigned to Jerry
   ... needs to talk to the IE folks
   ... and whether or not Glenn's proposal will cause an issue to
   CSS
   ... reassigned to Jerry

   action-205?

   <trackbot> action-205 -- Sean Hayes to Forward this solution to
   relevant implementers for their input -- due 2013-09-26 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [30]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/205

     [30] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/205

   Sean: this has to do with the proposed solution from Glenn to
   resolve origin expand with the body element
   ... so michael jordan or pierre
   ... you can ping cpc directly
   ... not sure what it stands for
   ... it's a company that has been doing work in the area. abode,
   ms did some work
   ... they have an authoring tool
   ... came up with the concept

   <nigel> [31]https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/176

     [31] https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/176

   pierre: solution is in issue-176?

   sean: if this special semantic is not done yet, you might to
   hang on it until then

   nigel: that's for TPAC agenda
   ... I'll take the action for now

   mijordan: we implemented this behavior
   ... you're overriding the behavior of the parent which could be
   problematic
   ... and Glenn had a proposal to resolve
   ... wanted feedback from CPC and Adobe
   ... will be attending TPAC by phone

   nigel: take the action then

   mike: caution here: not sure if the problems are the same here.
   there are flow issues to deal with
   ... make sure to sync with Glenn

   nigel: starting with Glenn proposal since the right choice
   ... and modify it as needed based on implementation

   mijordan: ok
   ... Glenn made some revision in action-93 btw

   action-220?

   <trackbot> action-220 -- Pierre-Anthony Lemieux to Investigate
   actual css behavior further regarding whether line height of
   individual lines are affected by font size on line as opposed
   to maximum over paragraph -- due 2013-10-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [32]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/220

     [32] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/220

   Nigel: any update?

   Pierre: the line height would be good to have Glenn around
   ... and Mike wasn't on the call last time
   ... ie we need nike and glenn, so after TPAC?
   ... two issues:
   ... understanding computed line height
   ... and what is line height normal

   action-222?

   <trackbot> action-222 -- Sean Hayes to Check on receipt of iso
   liaison, re: parts 12 and 30 of 14496 -- due 2013-10-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot>
   [33]http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/222

     [33] http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/222

   Nigel: reassigned to Mike
   ... concerned about the delay

   Mike: they were early communication at least
   ... this was a final status

   [...]

issue discussed over last week

   Nigel: all new issues raised by me on behalf of EBU
   ... some were based on input from Jon Birch
   ... I had a request from EBU to add extra metadata entities
   ... will get to them later
   ... any other progress on issues?

   [none heard]

EBU liaison letter

   Nigel: would be nice to respond indeed

   <scribe> ACTION: plh to answer the EBU liaison letter [recorded
   in [34]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-229 - Answer the ebu liaison letter
   [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2013-11-07].

Draft charter

   Nigel: that's a standing agenda item
   ... a few points to note
   ... initial chairs is one
   ... idea is that I would become the other co-chair with David
   ... taking care of the TTML part
   ... that's the draft plan

   <nigel> [35]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/timed-text-charter.html

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2013/10/timed-text-charter.html

   Nigel: some wording in the deliverables
   ... on live production streaming
   ... not precise enough
   ... will come up with a proposal
   ... milestones
   ... quite a lot of crunch
   ... coming at the same time
   ... TTML 2.0 and IMSC might need to be revised

   pal: real need for ttml 2 and imsc and I think we can do both
   ... so no reason to have different timeframe
   ... imsc relies on ttml 2
   ... so imsc at best can happen on the same time scale

   nigel: it seems safer to put a bit of offset

   pal: we have a draft for imsc
   ... I hope we won't pushback ttml 2 further
   ... no significant issues against imsc
   ... so pretty confident with the timeline

   nigel: alright
   ... on dependencies, we don't have one on XML

   <nigel> nigel: similarly on Internationalisation

   <scribe> ACTION: plh to get a review from PF sooner rather than
   later [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-230 - Get a review from pf sooner
   rather than later [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2013-11-07].

   Nigel: do we need feeback from DVB
   ... they do their own thing from time to time

   <scribe> ACTION: Nigel to find out which group within DVB we
   should target [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-231 - Find out which group within dvb
   we should target [on Nigel Megitt - due 2013-11-07].

   <nigel> sean: John Piesing

   plh: plan is to get charter to the AC after TPAC
   ... and approved in December

   nigel: can we get from FPWD to LC between January and April?

   pal: I'd like to get to FPWD asap

   nigel: to reverse the idea of the TPAC doesn't seem a good idea
   ... any other comment?

next week meeting

   Nigel: I propose to cancel it

   regrets from me

   regrets from mike

   Next meeting is canceled

AOB?

   Nigel: Thank you Sean
   ... we all thank you for your work

   plh: thank you Sean!

   Sean: it's been my pleasure
   ... I'll monitor the list for a while and support Jerry
   ... I'm not disappear entirely from earingth :)

   mijordan: thank you

   [adjourned]

   [38]http://www.w3.org/2013/11/TPAC/#GroupSchedule

     [38] http://www.w3.org/2013/11/TPAC/#GroupSchedule

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: nigel to coordinate with David Singer re: VTT
   agenda items. [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Nigel to find out which group within DVB we
   should target [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: nigel to inform PLH when issue(s) filed in order
   to coordinate [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: plh to answer the EBU liaison letter [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: plh to get a review from PF sooner rather than
   later [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: plh to inquire with richard ishida about good
   time to discuss [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2013/10/31-tt-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 31 October 2013 15:53:52 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:06:10 UTC