RE: Right usage of TTML for video

The linked example are in fact based on the polyfill I wrote, so it should work in most modern browsers, I'm pretty certain it was tested against Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE down to 6. I recall there were some issues with iOS, but I'm not sure what they were now. However I haven't looked at it recently. IE10+ is the only publically released browser where captions are supported out of the box, and where TTML is supported natively

-----Original Message-----
From: Silvia Pfeiffer [mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com]
Sent: 24 June 2013 15:18
To: Eunice Yu
Cc: public-tt@w3.org
Subject: Re: Right usage of TTML for video

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Eunice Yu <yonhee.yu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people.
> I'm very new to TTML and FCC regularion brought me here. after short
> surveying, still very confused about how to deal with TTML in modern
> browser implementation.
>
> I can see several links which seem to demonstrate TTML.
> http://www.cwmwenallt.com/ttml/ttml-demo.htm
> http://www.html5labs.com/HTML5CaptionDemo/
>
> and they are all something like using track element.
>
> <video width="640" height="480" controls>
>   <source src="video.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
>   <track src="ttml.xml" kind="subtitles"srclang="en" label="English"
> /> </video>
>
> but I am not sure if that is right implementation based on current standard.
> if it is, it's wired that track does not have mime type. and if it's
> not, I don't see any HTML element who requires TTML as text subtitles.

Your biggest problem is lack of support in browsers. The only browser where this will work is IE10 (Sean, correct me if I'm wrong).

> so my question is where web developers are suppose to put TTML and on
> which element should browser work to make it happen?
>
> on second thought, javascript can request and parse specific xml(TTML
> here) and display them being styled somewhere on the web page. can I
> say TTML is only for this?

If you are fixed on using TTML, then you indeed have to parse it yourself in JavaScript for now - best to build a polyfill.

If you are flexible with file formats to use for captions on the Web, you can always use WebVTT - it's now supported by all major browser (in Firefox it's still in beta, I think).

HTH.

Regards,
Silvia.