Re: Interdependency between fontSize, lineHeight and cellResolution in TTML

In principle I agree with you Andreas... I do have difficulty where TTML overrides the behaviour of probable target implementation technologies (like xsl-fo and css). I would favour a reversal of the current normal = 100% rule and just state it is accepted as implementation dependent.... This is providing that a mechanism to independently accurately specify the font and it's metrics is provided in a future version of TTML such that accurate line stacking metrics can be more obviously specified in TTML (especially for archive applications).

Best regards,

John

From: Andreas Tai [mailto:tai@irt.de]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 05:01 PM
To: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>; public-tt <public-tt@w3.org>; John Birch; Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
Subject: Re: Interdependency between fontSize, lineHeight and cellResolution in TTML

Doesn´t it make sense for TTML to adopt the meaning from XSL 1.1 and to let the rendering application choose a line-height that results in readable text? Isn´t it the missing control of the author which font will be used for display exactly the reason to give the rendering application the control?

Of course with this semantics of line-height "normal" the author can not predict the exact presentation but this assumption is for some use cases (as stated below) of theoretical nature anyway.

From German broadcaster perspective the requirement that text is accessible and readable is more important than that the text has an exact font-size or line-height.

As a perfect solution does not exist I would vote to align the definition of normal with XSL 1.1 or to adopt an option brought in by Glenn and "to define normal as 1.2*max descendant em square".

Best regards,

Andreas