From: Glenn Adams [mailto:glenn@skynav.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:29 AM
To: Jason Livingston
Cc: public-tt@w3.org
Subject: Re: Time expressions when ttp:timeBase="media"

Please read the newly posted draft change proposal at http://www.w3.org/wiki/TTML/changeProposal004, which may provide some answers to your following questions. Also keep in mind the following text in TTML 6.2.11, which makes it clear that when playRate != 1, then media time and local real time are not the same.

Note:
When using a media time base, if that time base is paused or scaled positively or negatively, then it is expected that the presentation of associated Timed Text content will be similarly paused, accelerated, or decelerated, respectively. The means for controlling an external media time base is outside the scope of this specification.

When operating with either media or smpte time bases, a diachronic presentation of a document instance may be subject to transformations of the controlling time line, such as temporal reversal, dilation (expansion), or constriction (compression)...