RE: TTML and aspect ratio

There is no authoring intent signaling for 608.  It was and is always 4:3.

708 has metadata for signaling the authoring intent to one of 4:3 or 16:9.
This is OOB of the caption data and it's signaling is transport dependent.
For example in ATSC, it is in a Caption Service Descriptor of the MPEG-2 TS.

SMPTE defined an encoding of this metadata in its forthcoming publication of
ST 2052-11, which maps 708 into TTML.  A metadata item was defined to
provide this signal, m708:aspectRatio.

SMPTE has recently asked W3C to consider adopting its extensions of TTML
from 2052-1, 2052-10 and 2052-11.  See:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2013Jan/0006.html

Today, when dealing with 608 and 708 sourced content, one should rely on the
SMPTE work.  Except for 2052-11, which is not yet published, the work is
available for free at www.smpte.org.

Regards,

                Mike