From: Glenn Adams [mailto:glenn@skynav.com]
Sent: 30 January 2013 15:06
To: John Birch
Cc: David Ronca; public-tt@w3.org
Subject: Re: TTML and aspect ratio

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:51 AM, John Birch <John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv>> wrote:
Hi Glenn, all,

RE:
As presently defined by TTML, the origin of the root container region is determined by the external presentation context. [Note that the phrase "external authoring context" should be interpreted as external presentation context. In fact, the current text of TTML should probably be changed in this regard to always refer to external presentation context instead.] In other words, as presently defined, the root container origin is always determined by the presentation processor (or transformation processor when performing transformations).

One possible origin is the related media object's origin, another is some offset that corresponds to the typical safe area for the related media object. So, e.g., for a 4:3 480i NTSC related media we have:

SAR = 704:480
PAR = 10:11
DAR = 640:480

I regards this as dangerous since the arbitrary selection of an origin location relative to the underlying media by a presentation processor will lead to ambiguous presentations… i.e. the position (and size) of display of the timed text would be arbitrarily affected by the presentation processor used.

By "this" do you mean the fact that the origin of the root container region is determined by the presentation processor? We chose this method since, in the context of viewing captions/subtitles in HTML pages, we did not assume that captions/subtitles would overlay the related media, e.g., could be displayed at arbitrary other locations. That said, I suspect it is time we revisit this decision for TTML 1.1, and consider additional semantics or syntax to provide more authorial control or declarative ability.

Whilst in some scenarios this might be desirable (e.g. US captioning allows the viewer to select characteristics of text presentation) in other scenarios this would be undesirable (e.g. subtitling or tickers). I would welcome a resolution of this in TTML 1.1.
Some text to lock the ‘default origin’ to the origin of any associated media / presentation canvas might be useful, with a caveat that this may be specifically overridden (either in the file or by the external context?)

This may be better positioned within specific ‘profiles’ e.g. SDP-US rather than the base TTML?

No, because the current profile work (SDP-US) is strictly a subset profile. We aren't defining official profiles for TT (at least in this WG) that are superset profiles. [Note that others have done so.] The right place to define would be in TTML 1.1 if we want to add a new feature. We could also add clarifying text to TTML 1.0 SE to point out coming features or mechanisms to satisfy this.

First, however, I'd like to get the requirement well documented, and I don't believe we have done that yet.

Best regards,
John

John Birch | Screen | Strategic Partnerships Manager
Main Line : +44 1473 831700<tel:%2B44%201473%20831700> | Ext : 270 | Direct Dial : +44 1473 834532<tel:%2B44%201473%20834532>
Mobile : +44 7919 558380<tel:%2B44%207919%20558380> | Fax : +44 1473 830078<tel:%2B44%201473%20830078>
John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv> | www.screensystems.tv<http://www.screensystems.tv> | https://twitter.com/screensystems

Visit us at
BVE, London Excel, 26-28 February, Stand J02

P Before printing, think about the environment